A maximum of (4) grants of $25,000 each will be awarded to projects in the post-production phase during LEF’s major grants review. In order to be eligible for Post-production support, the project for which you are applying must have received previous LEF support.
Appropriate Use of Funds: Post-production funds may be used for editing costs, rights, online, sound mix, color correction, transfers and distribution strategy.
The Moving Image Fund’s Post-production Grants have a two-part application process. Filmmakers interested in applying for project support must first submit a letter of inquiry. From these initial inquiries, a smaller pool of applicants is notified in early March about whether they are invited to submit a full application.
Prior to submitting a letter of inquiry, potential applicants are strongly encouraged to read our guidelines, details on how to apply, and frequently asked questions, and to contact LEF New England staff to determine whether the film is eligible and a good fit for LEF's funding priorities.
Letter of Inquiry Deadline
- Friday, 22 January 2021 - 11:59pm
Letter of Inquiry Requirements
Interested applicants should submit a completed form (click on the Submit button to begin) in addition to a current work sample.
The LOI form asks for the following information:
- Applicant Contact Information
- Fiscal Sponsor Contact Information (NOTE: New in 2021, LEF no longer requires you to have a confirmed fiscal sponsor at the time that you submit a letter of inquiry. However, this submission form does provide the option for you to share who your confirmed or potential fiscal sponsor will be. If you are awarded a grant, you must have a confirmed 501c3 fiscal sponsor in place in order to receive any grant funding. Find more details about locating a fiscal sponsor on our FAQ page, and reach out to us if you have other questions.)
- Project Title
- Project Website (optional)
- Estimated Running Time
- Log Line (Approximately 2-3 sentences)
- Story Summary/Synopsis (Suggested Length: Approximately 1-2 pages)
- Artistic Approach (Suggested Length: Approximately ½ page)
- Project Stage and Timeline (Suggested Length: Approximately 1 paragraph)
- Key Creative Personnel (Suggested Length: Approximately 1 paragraph/short bio - approximately 50-150 words - each)
- Budget Summary (NOTE: New in 2021, LEF no longer requires you to submit a full line-item budget at the LOI stage. However, this submission form does ask you to submit a summary of your estimated project budget. If you are invited to submit a full application in March, you will be asked to submit a full line-item budget. At that time, you may use your own budget form and/or the LEF Budget Template here. Learn more about documentary budgeting here.)
- Funding to Date
- Work Sample Information
- Previous LEF Support Information. If you are a previous grantee, please make sure you have sent a final report on your last funded project to LEF Program Officer Gen Carmel at email@example.com. The final report form is here.
- Please submit up to 10 minutes of sample footage from the current project for review. If your sample is longer than 10 minutes in length, please specify which 10 minutes to prioritize when viewing. If you don't specify the time segment, the first 10 minutes will be reviewed. The sample can include research footage, character sketches, or rough scenes from the project for which you are applying for funding. Work samples should be submitted in your application form as Vimeo links that will remain available to view online by peer reviewers through the duration of your application review timeline. You may also supplement this current work sample with a sample from a completed past work for review, if relevant to the style or execution of the current project. Please complete all fields per work sample. Learn more about creating a LEF work sample on our How to Apply page.
IMPORTANT - You may begin filling information on the submission form, leave and return later as many times as necessary to complete the form. However, you must hit the SAVE button at the end of the page before leaving. ONCE YOU SUBMIT THE FORM YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EDIT YOUR APPLICATION INFORMATION OR SUBMITTED FILES.
There is a 21 day limit on saved applications, which can be refreshed each time you re-save your application.
We recommend drafting and saving your work in an offline file, in case you encounter any issues when saving your work online.
Global Data Protection Regulation Consent:
By submitting this letter of inquiry, you agree to allow LEF to use the information you provide to be in touch with you by phone or e-mail about updates on your application, to process this information in order to make a funding decision, and, if your project is selected for funding, to share your project's title, brief description and direction/production team members in our public Moving Image Fund grant directory and public grant announcement. If you are awarded a grant for a project that has sensitive subject matter, and would like to take additional measures to protect the privacy of those involved with the film, please contact LEF staff, and we would be happy to discuss this with you after an award decision is made.
Trouble submitting? Contact Submittable at firstname.lastname@example.org or 855.467.8264.
Proposal Questions? Call Gen Carmel at LEF New England (617)492.5333 or email email@example.com.