There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The goal of LEF New England is to fund the work of independent documentary film and video artists in the region, and to broaden recognition and support for their work, both locally and nationally. It also supports programs that highlight the rich history and ongoing legacy of innovation within New England’s independent film community. LEF's Moving Image Fund (MIF) provides funding across all phases of production, supporting films from the early risk-taking stage, through a film’s completion. In this way, MIF offers a continuum of support for selected projects, while also identifying new talent.Through MIF, LEF New England champions work that is provocative, heartfelt, and challenging in style and substance. Since its inception, LEF’s Moving Image Fund has supported over 300 independent filmmaker projects with approximately $4 million in funding. The overarching goal of LEF New England’s philanthropic investment is to help build a sustainable and strong community of support for artists and their work.
The strongest proposals will be those that clearly articulate the ways in which the proposed project aligns with the program’s funding criteria.
- Quality of cinematic form and technique
- Originality of filmmaker’s voice, vision, and point of view
- Resonance and power of the film’s core idea or story
- Feasibility of production
- Projects must be long format; running times of 40 minutes or more.
- Primary creative personnel (director and/or producer) must reside in New England.
- Priority will be given to smaller scale projects with budgets under $400,000.
- Students enrolled in degree-granting programs may not apply.
- Multi-channel or installation work will not be considered.
- Applicants MUST have a fiscal sponsor (a nonprofit with a 501[c]3 designation from the federal government) that has agreed to manage the fiscal activity of the grant.
- For prior grantees, a final report on previous LEF grant funding is required. Previous LEF grantees, please click here for important eligibility information
- To be eligible for post-production funding, the project for which you are applying must have received previous LEF support.
The next LEF Moving Image Fund deadline will be Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:59pm (midnight) for applicants seeking pre-production funding.
Because the LEF Moving Image Fund has adapted its submission forms from the Documentary Core Application, you might already have a head start on your LEF application or letter of inquiry if you've submitted a grant proposal to another funder that makes use of the Core. Learn more on the Documentary Core Application website.